PSG Industrial Institute was established in 1926 by PSG and Sons Charities at Peelamedu, Coimbatore. The Engineering College was established in 1951 on the campus of the Institute by G. R. Damodaran, who became its first Rector. The College of Madras granted the college autonomous status in 1978, which was continued by Bharathiar College and since 2001 by Anna University.
About 48 full-time and part-time courses in science, engineering and management at undergraduate and postgraduate levels are offered by the 11 departments of engineering and technology, computer applications, management sciences, basic sciences and humanities. The institute offers three 5-year integrated sandwich engineering programs that combine classroom instruction with industry training. It is one of the few institutes in the country to offer such a degree program.
Many of the undergraduate and postgraduate programs offered by the college are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation of the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE). Since the college is autonomous, it sets its own curricula, updates the curriculum, introduces new courses, and has the authority to conduct its own assessment.